Episode 9 is here!!!! Victoria is making main street Americans vegan. How? Why? What are the pitfalls and pratfalls and unintended triumphs?
This episode is FULL of great insights.
In this episode, Victoria Moran and I cover her whole career and what she has learned since 1983 when she went vegan. We talk about eating disorders, making a living writing, public speaking, coaching and educating, and heaps of other goodies.
Check out the timestamps!
[5:15] The Origin Story: Going vegetarian in 1969 in Kansas City, and vegan in 1983 was like becoming Amish.
[8:00] Original vegans, American Vegan Society
[9:45] One of the first books on veganism, as veganism! Compassion the Ultimate Ethic: An Exploration of Veganism. You can find it at Amazon, Barnes and Noble, and many other places.
[11:30] Going vegan is still stigmatized, so going vegan in 1983! How was it?
[12:45] Going Amish
[17:45] Vegan doctors who are not cardiologist
[19:30] New vocabulary! Atavistic: relating to or characterized by reversion to something ancient or ancestral (definition from Google.com)
[20:10] Her mom was a great salesperson. How Victoria learned about selling veganism.
[21:35] Don’t waste your good vegan conversion time
[24:00] Converting your doctor by being healthy
[26:00] Eating disorders
[33:00] A diet won’t change the world
[36:30] Are you a Compulsive Overeater questionnaire
[38:00] The concept of a binge food.
[40:30] The only book out there that addressed overeating for someone who wants to be vegan Victoria’s book: The Love Powered Diet
[41:00] A rant on protein
[43:30] Addiction to protein?
[44:30] La Diva Dietician
[45:00] Paying people to come up with a reasonable plant-based diet that is deficient in protein????
[49:00] How to create your own vegan career (and Victoria’s story of how she did)
[58:30] Vegan degrees of seperation (from Moby!)
And so much more!!!!!!
- “It’s not like you’ve got a great heart but you’re falling apart everywhere else.”
- Vegan for Life: Everything You Need to Healthy and Fit on a Plant-based Diet
- Are you getting stuck in the vegan bubble, especially in New York City?
- Victoria’s 3 kinds of eaters 1. Eater of the Standard American Diet 2. women’s magazine reader 3. addict.
- What should someone do if they are interested in veganism and has an eating challenge or disorder.
- Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine
- Writing for teen magazines
- Eat food as god grew it.
- The idea of a “binge food
- People are addicted to protein foods, too.
- Trying to pay people a large $ reward for coming up with a reasonable plant based diet that is protein deficient.
- Her book: Creating a Charmed Life (translated into 32 languages) going on Opra
Here’s the ep!
Here is the trailer to Victoria’s upcoming vegan documentary: A Prayer for Compassion, which is about veganism for spiritual people: